6.03.2008

ROADTRIP: SOUTH BEACH


Mr. MSR readying for the sands!


S.S.S. a.ka. Sizzzling South Beach.


Pre-Memorial Day weekend (Tuesday through Friday) I packed up the Samsonite hard-shell and jetted down to South Beach (Miami); to soak up the sun and prepare for a fun n' exploring summer. American Airlines (the carrier really lost the premium feel.) schlepped me into Miami International around 11 a.m. and I suffered, feverishly waiting for the luggage at the carousel dock for ever. Oy Vey!

…luggage arrived and I’m charted away to the hotel. Scoping the gazillion of FOR SALE and mid-construction condos along pristine Biscayne Bay became overbearing. Pulling up the secluded hotel driveway at the DELANO brought back vacay mode. In keeping with the “D”: I say its Delightful and Design-y.

The Delano definitely can be deemed the artist or designer home-away-from-home. The world-class interiors by design lord Philippe Starck blew me away! The museum-quality décor (pictured) conjures chic and modern—while cuddling a beach ethos. I toured the airy lobby, and more grounds to only notice a reappearing theme: Different scales with Furniture. Something I dig; it’s so unconventional and against the grain. (Think floor-to-ceiling tufted chairs in a nook.) In the hotel suite, Mr. MSR is met with super-white modern décor and P. Starck furnishings. I am in heaven at this point…

After a quick decompress, I routed my new temporary home for more amenities and findings. I started on the Penthouse level with a saunter into agua @ DELANO. The vibes and extra-helpful service was awesome. However, the tipping prices didn’t agree so well. Gents, get a deep Tissue Massage ($160) or Gentlemen’s Facial ($120) if you’re in an extra-grooming mode.

Afterwards, I found myself touring the cool shoebox-size shop—BASE@ DELANO—on the main level. BASE (tune in to Pt. II Road trip for info on the larger BASE in South Beach) stocks amazing edited merchandise: Books (Stellar Coffee Tables), Clothing, Footwear (Y-3), and Lifestyle knickknacks pleasant for home or office.

I rounded off, by stopping on the scenic beach (Delano’s section) where I joined the costumed gents in Vilbrequin shorts with Havaianas Thongs. I managed anythow. Miami is so see-and-be-seen, yet from the style standpoint, I’m all about it. “GET IN!” I say. Paparazzo was in full-effect (a little shocked) shooting the radiant Veronica Webb and kiddies playing on the sands. Oh, even youthful-looking John Witherspoon (Pops from The Wayans Brothers show) was on the scene relaxing.

Stay posted for my PART II ROADTRIP entry where I share on the South Beach lifestyle for us Gents. Also, I must share about the vibrant & pulsating POOL area at the Delano. After combing through hot-spots, Mr. MSR has secured the best in menswear shopping (of course), eating, culture, dining out.


Some photos for the viewing pleasure:


In front of the Delano


Delano's expansive lobby.


Award-winning 'Blue Door' Restaurant.

Poolside cabana at dusk.

I recommend 'Blue Sea' for the Sushi revelers.

Agua Spa roof deck for the lounging types.


Check the room I was slated! I know. Heaven!!

The view from Heaven. Seeing things like this makes one want to relocate.



No comments: